Landscape organizes everything within sight.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

SinnerFish

I was Googling the words "fish emblem," hoping to find a nice seventeenth-century emblem of Jesus feeding the multitude with the five loaves and fishes for an illustration to an essay.

Google found me a few scholarly pictures of manuscripts amidst the multitude of chrome fishes for sale, to be affixed to the cars of well-meaning evangelicals across America.

And then I saw it.



The "Sinner Fish."

It took my breath away. Every Christian should have one, I thought.

The Sinner Fish, a reminder that Christ loves all of us, Christian and not. That the Christian is no different than the non-Christian with regards to his morality, for every Christian is a sinner as well. That the sinning Christian comes closest to God when he loves his fellow sinners and gives them the shirt off of his back.

I immediately betook myself to the website and wondered if I could buy a few dozen sinner fish for friends at church.

But immediately, visions of confrontations in parking lots began to race through my mind, and I began to feel a little queasy about how public I want my witness to be...

("Are you callin' Jesus a SINNER?" "No, man, I just know that the Lord came to SAVE sinners, all of us!")

Anyway, I'm not even sure what the intention of the Sinner Fish maker was. There on the Darwin Fish website you can find some pretty darn offensive material for your automobile, including an Evolution Fish humping an Ichthus Fish, a Satan Fish, an Isis Fish, and a Flying Spaghetti Monster Fish.

I was, however, mercifully spared the decision to witness, this once.

The Sinner Fish is temporarily out of stock.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could always buy a Bush Fish!
http://www.bushfish.org/

10:51 AM  
Blogger Jo Guldi said...

If you afixed a Bush Fish with a Sinner Fish beneath, do you think people would get the joke?

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home